GRAVES DISEASE Q&A WITH BRONTE MAY, NATUROPATH
Graves disease is autoimmune hyperthyroidism. Hashimoto’s is the most common thyroid autoimmune disease and so there is much more information available about it. I get many questions about Graves disease and I’m thrilled to have Bronte May, naturopath BACK on the show to talk about Graves/hyperthyroidism and answer many of the questions that get asked about it.
My first podcast interview with Bronte has been one of the top performing episodes, so I was thrilled to have her back on the show. Bronte is full of positive and practical.
In this episode we cover:
An overview of Graves Disease – what it is, how to test for it, common triggers and an overview of how to manage it.
4 core pillars for lifestyle change
Graves Disease Questions such as:
- What is the best diet for hyperthyroidism/Graves? In short, AIP (Autoimmune protocol, if you have hyperthyroidism but NOT graves ie not autoimmune, best diet is gluten and dairy free)
- How does hyperthyroid medication impact the immune system? It can reduce white blood cell count, which is why it’s not usually recommended as a long term treatment. Listen for more & seek medical advice.
- Are there special considerations for pregnancy/breastfeeding? There are some herbs to avoid so please seek professional advice. If you’re planning to fall pregnant it’s a good idea to work with a professional so your thyroid health is in the best shape it can be.
- What is earthing and how can it help? Connecting your bare feet with the earth is grounding and relaxing. Great to build into your routine – eg eating your lunch in the sunshine with bare feet on the grass. #habitstacking – nourishing lunch + Vitamin D + earthing.
- Is fasting recommended for those with Graves Disease? Yes and No. It will depend on whether your thyroid health is balanced or not. If you’re not healthy it’s not recommended to put extra stress on the body by fasting. It is recommended for everyone to have 12 hours between eating dinner and breakfast.
- What if you’ve had a partial thyroidectomy, is there a risk of going hyPOthyroid? Yes there is. Having your thyroid (or part of it) isn’t treating the root cause of the thyroid problem. Working with a functional medicine practitioner to identify and remove triggers is a good idea.
Take a listen for a more thorough discussion around these topics and remember to get medical advice from health professional!
related podcast episodes
If you enjoyed this episode and are looking for similar discussions, check out these episodes:
Previous episode with Bronte:
Bronte is a Naturopath with a passion for thyroid health. She knows firsthand the complicated and multi layered journey to heal from an autoimmune disease. Having had a negative experience within the mainstream medical system, she decided to educate her way to recovery… and did… healing herself from Graves disease and becoming a qualified Naturopath in the process.
Having learned so much about lifestyle medicine and the medical modality of Naturopathy during her own healing journey, she is now passionate about passing on this information to her own clients to empower them to be their own healers.
Bronte also offers a specific 12 week program, “THYROID RESET”, where she not only systematically uncovers the root causes of the health imbalance, but more importantly, simplifies the process of getting well again, including the mindset coaching to help you on this often challenging journey.
And when she isn’t doing that, her Instagram tells us that you can find her earthing with a cup of bone broth.
Connect with Bronte May
IS IT TIME FOR YOU TO TAKE ACTION?
See your mindset THRIVE with Thyroid Love Notes. 22 unique affirmations.
Each affirmation is accompanied by messages of love & practical activities to take.
Change your mindset so you can THRIVE.
Affirmations written specifically for people like you and I with thyroid problems.
Suspect you have a thyroid issue? PLEASE trust your instincts and get it thoroughly checked out with your health practitioner. This thyroid basics page has an overview of what tests to ask for and an affiliate link to use a private lab if your doctor won't order them.
Disclaimer: This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
HOW I CAN HELP YOU