How to say no! A tough love episode.
HOW TO SAY NO!
Managing our day to day stress is important for our thyroid health but what if we could remove some of the things that cause this stress?
A root cause approach to stress management? Makes more sense doesn’t it?
In order to do this, we need to learn how to say no!
You’d think it would be simple. Just say no. But we know that it’s not that simple.
We know that many of us with thyroid issues tend to have personalities that like to take on more than we can handle, we bottle things up and don’t always express our ourselves well. It’s no surprise to me that most of us have trouble saying no!
This episode is just as much for me as it might be for you!
I cover questions like:
Why don’t we just say no? I was able to gather a big list from those in the Let’s Talk Thyroid Community (join here). I’m sure you’re familiar with the most common… we don’t like to upset/offend/disappoint, let down.
How can you actually say no and keep your friends and self-respect? I give you actual words to say. I promise you’ll sound friendly whilst saying no!
We also explore the idea of setting boundaries, knowing our core values, and not over-scheduling our days.
I firmly believe we are in far more control of our calendar and the of our families than we like to admit. Here is the tough love. What if we said no to a few more things? Would saying no to our kids make us terrible parents? In the episode, I give you a few real life examples from our house 😉
Saying yes means saying no to other things.
Saying no means you can say yes to other things.
How to say no. Some practical tips.
- Read Boundaries by Dr Henry Cloud
- Be clear about your values/needs eg if healing/wellness is a value but you don’t tell others you need to build in space or eat a certain way, you aren’t living consistently with your values.
- If someone asks you to do something, don’t make the commitment on the spot – say I’ll think about it and get back to you.
- Practice saying no! Nicely eg No, but thank you for thinking of me/asking. (A few more examples are in the recording).
- Recognise the season of life you are in – some just a naturally busier than others.
- Learn to value yourself and your health and use it as a valid reason for saying no!
Boundaries by Dr Henry Cloud. I also discovered that Dr Cloud has a podcast too, so if this is something that would help you, check it out. boundaries.me
Indistractible by Nir Eyal
Atomic Habits by James Clear
Ange Peter’s – Life Scrub
Podcast episode – Scrub your devices… will give you a good feel for her course.
Suspect you have a thyroid issue? PLEASE trust your instincts and get it thoroughly checked out with your health practitioner. This thyroid basics page has an overview of what tests to ask for and an affiliate link to use a private lab if your doctor won't order them.
Disclaimer: This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
HOW I CAN HELP YOU