What’s the big deal with gluten & thyroid health?
Whitney Morgan, functional nutritionist Ep 40
You might have heard to go gluten free for your thyroid health, but why, what’s the big deal?
My guest on today’s podcast, Whitney Morgan is passionate about educating people with Hashimoto’s about the role gluten plays in our health (well interfering with it). It is a slightly longer episode than usual but we pack a LOT of great information into it.
Whitney has Hashimoto’s, Coeliac Disease and a couple of other auto-immune diseases, so has been peronsally invested in fully investigating gluten (& other related food proteins) for her own health as well as trying to save others from years of trial & error.
I have been gluten free for almost 9 years but I learnt things during this conversation. We are always learning.
Some of the keys we talk about were:
- What is the difference between Coeliac Disease and Non-Coeliac Gluten Sensitivity?
- Is gluten sensitivity all that serious? (Hint: turns out that it is!)
Gluten sensivitiy is just as serious as Coeliac because it’s a gateway to other auto-immune diseases
- How gluten sensitivity can present in ways other than gut health eg mood, brain/neurological symptoms, joint pain, skin issue… the list is very long, so just because we might not get a digestive reaction to gluten, doesn’t mean we are fine to eat it.
- How to test for gluten sensitivity and gluten antibodies. I haven’t found the Australian equivalent (yet) for the Wheat Zoomer test Whitney talks about).
- The best way to tackling going gluten free.
- The addictive nature of gluten and my story about my feeling of food ‘addiction going after giving up gluten. Think about most of our ‘comfort foods’ are gluten based….
- Molecular mimicry and gluten cross-reactivity.
You cannot be truely gluten free if your household is not gluten free.
- The Coping Cycle when giving up gluten (this was super helpful, because let’s be real, giving up gluten is hard and we do go through a grieving process. I did too.
From Whitney Morgan
I am Whitney Morgan. Founder of Morgan Nutrition and the creator of the Thyroid Reboot Method and the Gluten Gauntlet Mini-course. I have helped dozens of women with chronic Hashimoto’s, and other autoimmune conditions, bust through the obstacles keeping them from the life they want by uncovering the root causes of their symptoms and eliminating their unique triggers.
I am a licensed acupuncturist, a functional nutritionist, and a certified gluten-free health coach. In addition to my private practice, I serve as a clinical advisor for the Association of Functional Diagnostic Nutrition Practitioners, assisting other functional practitioners with their client cases.
Connect with Whitney:
Social Media @whitneymorgannutrition
DOWNLOAD Whitney’s FREE Thyroid Lab Test Interpretation Guide
LET’S KEEP TALKING
Book your Strategy Session
and take control of the overwhelm.
$147 for 60min.
Let’s get social.
Subscribe to the podcast & share.
Follow me on social media.
Join the Let’s Talk Thyroid Community on Facebook.
Support Let’s Talk Thyroid (& me)
⭐️ Listen, learn & enjoy!!
⭐️ Leave me an Apple Podcast Review (1. Go to Let’s Talk Thyroid. Scroll to ‘Ratings & Reviews’. Leave a review)
⭐️ Share it with a friend who would benefit.
⭐️ If you have a guest or topic you’d like to see on the show, or you have a thyroid story to share, please email me firstname.lastname@example.org
⭐️ If you enjoy the show and would like to donate a few dollars as a one-off or regularly, I’d be very appreciative to help cover the costs!
If you are having trouble getting the blood tests you’d like from your doctor, please try to find another health practitioner. If you’d like to order blood tests privately, please consider using my affiliate link through i-screen.
If you’ve been around me for long, you know I love words, AND I love to wear them! I got one of these gorgeous WORD bracelets for Christmas and now I’m thrilled to be able to team up with Luke from Veralany to offer you a special deal to get your own personalised bracelet. It’s a win win win. You get to have the words you choose to keep you inspired on your wrist AND save $21. I receive a $21 commission & word you have a way to anchor your important words and Luke has another happy customer and knows that you will love wearing your bracelet and being inspired. Win Win Win.
You can see mine in the last photo – I’m about to get my word for 2021, UNDAUNTED added to it.
Just head to veralany.com and enter the code annabel at checkout for your $21 discount.
Follow @veralany_ on Instagram for some ideas!