What’s the big deal with gluten & thyroid health?
Whitney Morgan, functional nutritionist Ep 40
You might have heard to go gluten free for your thyroid health, but why, what’s the big deal?
My guest on today’s podcast, Whitney Morgan is passionate about educating people with Hashimoto’s about the role gluten plays in our health (well interfering with it). It is a slightly longer episode than usual but we pack a LOT of great information into it.
Whitney has Hashimoto’s, Coeliac Disease and a couple of other auto-immune diseases, so has been peronsally invested in fully investigating gluten (& other related food proteins) for her own health as well as trying to save others from years of trial & error.
I have been gluten free for almost 9 years but I learnt things during this conversation. We are always learning.
Some of the keys we talk about were:
- What is the difference between Coeliac Disease and Non-Coeliac Gluten Sensitivity?
- Is gluten sensitivity all that serious? (Hint: turns out that it is!)
Gluten sensivitiy is just as serious as Coeliac because it’s a gateway to other auto-immune diseases
- How gluten sensitivity can present in ways other than gut health eg mood, brain/neurological symptoms, joint pain, skin issue… the list is very long, so just because we might not get a digestive reaction to gluten, doesn’t mean we are fine to eat it.
- How to test for gluten sensitivity and gluten antibodies. I haven’t found the Australian equivalent (yet) for the Wheat Zoomer test Whitney talks about).
- The best way to tackling going gluten free.
- The addictive nature of gluten and my story about my feeling of food ‘addiction going after giving up gluten. Think about most of our ‘comfort foods’ are gluten based….
- Molecular mimicry and gluten cross-reactivity.
You cannot be truely gluten free if your household is not gluten free.
- The Coping Cycle when giving up gluten (this was super helpful, because let’s be real, giving up gluten is hard and we do go through a grieving process. I did too.
related podcast episodes
If you enjoyed this episode and are looking for similar discussions, check out these episodes:
From Whitney Morgan
I am Whitney Morgan. Founder of Morgan Nutrition and the creator of the Thyroid Reboot Method and the Gluten Gauntlet Mini-course. I have helped dozens of women with chronic Hashimoto’s, and other autoimmune conditions, bust through the obstacles keeping them from the life they want by uncovering the root causes of their symptoms and eliminating their unique triggers.
I am a licensed acupuncturist, a functional nutritionist, and a certified gluten-free health coach. In addition to my private practice, I serve as a clinical advisor for the Association of Functional Diagnostic Nutrition Practitioners, assisting other functional practitioners with their client cases.
Connect with Whitney:
Social Media @whitneymorgannutrition
Want to dig into Whitneys Gluten Gauntlet Mini Course? Here is Lesson One. To purchase the course, use the CODE Annabel50 to receive 50% off.
DOWNLOAD Whitney’s FREE Thyroid Lab Test Interpretation Guide
Suspect you have a thyroid issue? PLEASE trust your instincts and get it thoroughly checked out with your health practitioner. This thyroid basics page has an overview of what tests to ask for and an affiliate link to use a private lab if your doctor won't order them.
Disclaimer: This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
HOW I CAN HELP YOU
Everything I know about living a thyroid-friendly lifestyle I've put into a book. Let's Tak Thyroid: Positive & Practical Thyroid Help
MY THYROID BOX
Luxury gift box for all thyroid patients, curated to help you feel loved, equipped & hopeful for your thyroid journey.
Listen to the podcast where I talk all things thyroid. It's a mix of my experiences, interviews with my community of thyroid people and experts sharing their wisdom for our benefit.