GRAVES DISEASE TRIGGERS & NATURAL SOLUTIONS
WITH DR ERIC OSANSKY
Dr Eric Osansky was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism in 2008. He is a chiropractor and knew from the beginning he wanted to try to manage his hyperthyroidism naturally if he could. The core of his personal approach to his own thyroid management were:
- Diet – paleo style – a key part of the puzzle but not the only part.
- Stress mangement
- Testing which led to specific supplementation
- Slowing down his exercise (he believes overtraining was one of the triggers as a physical stressor)
- Reducing toxic load.
What are common triggers for hyperthyroidism/Graves Disease?
Or Osansky talks about 4 core categories of triggers (causes):
- Food. There are many foods that may trigger autoimmune thyroid diseases – they are different for everyone and there is no perfect thyroid diet.
- Stressors – Emotional (including trauma) and physical stressors.
- Chemicals eg environmental chemicals, heavy metals, mold etc
- Infections eg EBV, HPylori, lyme, bartonella.
How can you manage hyperthyroid symptoms naturally?
- Herbal approach can work for some people whilst dealing with hyper symptoms
- eg Bugleweed can be used as an anti-thyroid herb and in Dr Osansky’s experiences is effective in about 75% of cases.
- Motherwort is anohter that may help with cardiovascular symptoms
- Lemonbalm for calming
- L-Carnitine at higher does can be anti-thyroid.
- Reduce emotional & physical stress
- Reduce toxic exposure over time.
Other topics covered in the podcast discussion:
- the IODINE controversy
- Safety concerns when dealing with hyperthyroidism (you can’t let it go unmanaged)
- LDN – Low Dose Natrexone can be used to support both Hashimoto’s and Graves as it modulates the immune system. Dr Osansky talked about how it’s best used NOT as a long term strategy and to be aware that your needs for thyroid or anti-thyroid medication may change so keep testing regularly.
- Thyroid removal – it should be a last resort (obviously in discussion with your doctor)
DR ERIC OSANKSY
Dr. Eric Osansky is a chiropractor, clinical nutritionist, and a certified functional medicine practitioner who helps people recover from thyroid and autoimmune thyroid conditions. He is the author of the books “Natural Treatment Solutions for Hyperthyroidism and Graves’ Disease” and “Hashimoto’s Triggers”, and is the host of the Save My Thyroid podcast. Dr. Osansky was personally diagnosed in 2008 with Graves’ disease, and after taking a natural treatment approach has been in remission since 2009. After seeing how well natural treatment methods helped with his condition, he began using these natural thyroid treatment protocols to help others with different types of thyroid and autoimmune thyroid conditions, including hyperthyroidism and Graves’ Disease, and hypothyroidism and Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis.
Connect with Dr Osansky
YouTube: Natural Thyroid Doctor
Dr Osansky’s books are shown below.
related podcast episodes
If you enjoyed this episode and are looking for similar discussions, check out these episodes:
IS IT TIME FOR YOU TO TAKE ACTION?
Suspect you have a thyroid issue? PLEASE trust your instincts and get it thoroughly checked out with your health practitioner. This thyroid basics page has an overview of what tests to ask for and an affiliate link to use a private lab if your doctor won't order them.
Disclaimer: This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
HOW I CAN HELP YOU